- The Times: President Trump threatened to hit Turkey with a further wave of sanctions, painfully erasing the lira’s recent recovery and pulling the currency down by more than 5%.
- Financial Times: Donald Trump has asked the SEC to consider scrapping the rule requiring public companies to report their earning every three months, weighing in on a practice many blame for corporate short-termism.
- The Daily Telegraph: Buyers are fleeing Hong Kong’s property market hitting the enclave’s housing boom as monetary tightening by the US Federal Reserve forces its authorities to tighten credit.
- Financial Times: Shares in Tesla fell sharply after an emotional interview with Elon Musk in which the electric car company's founder and chief executive said he was overworked.
- The Times: House of Fraser collapsed leaving thousands of workers fearing for their jobs and nearly £1 billion of debts.
- Financial Times: AP Moller-Maersk has decided to spin off its oil drilling rig business rather than sell it after receiving disappointing bids.
Business and economics
- The Daily Telegraph: A consortium led by construction and support services firm Interserve has secured a £105 million deal to build two new buildings for Durham University, sending the company’s shares as much as 7.26% higher.
- The Guardian: Monzo, a digital bank, is lining up new finance that would value the three-year-old company at more than $1 billion.
- Financial Times: DoorDash, one of a cluster of online food-deliveries services, has secured another $250 million in venture funding.
- The Daily Telegraph: London-listed ports operator Global Ports Holding has unveiled a surge in revenues and underlying profits and insisted that it was not suffering as a result of economic volatility in its home country of Turkey.
- The Times: Deere & Co, the world’s leading farm machinery maker, has warned that it will raise prices due to rising prices of raw materials as a result of tariff battles.
- Daily Mail: Royal Bank of Scotland’s chief financial officer Ewen Stevenson has resigned to take up a post at rival bank HSBC.
- The Daily Telegraph: Leading tobacco companies have welcomed Parliament’s Science and Technology Committee proposals to relax laws on e-cigarettes which “could be a key weapon in the NHS’s stop smoking arsenal”.
- The Daily Telegraph: Social media networks such as Facebook and Google have been urged by US senators to stop users from sharing blueprints for 3D printed guns.
Share tips, comment and bids
- The Daily Telegraph (Questor share tips): Questor’s Inheritance Tax Portfolio now has 20 stocks. How are they performing?
- The Times: Sensyne Health, which raised £60 million through an initial public offering, valuing it at £225 million, rose strongly on its stock market debut yesterday.
- Financial Times: Novo Nordisk, the world's largest manufacturer of diabetes medicines, has bought Ziylo, a small UK biotech company spun out of the University of Bristol.
- The Daily Telegraph (Comment): Why is gold - the ultimate safe haven asset - spiralling down?
- The Times (Comment): How intangible assets mess with reality of setting interest rates.