Date office opened: 2008
Brown Shipley group assets under management: £7.8bn
Average portfolio size: £400k
Number in team: 9
Top three fund picks:
Chelverton UK Equity Income
Baillie Gifford American
TR Property Investment Trust
Q&A with Paul Embleton, head of office, Brown Shipley, Edinburgh (pictured below):
What is your typical client demographic?
We have a broad range of clients from Scotland and further afield, including a number of Scottish-based charities, Sipps, offshore bonds and personal injury trusts.
What differentiates your region?
Scotland has always retained its unique identity through its laws, customs and practices, setting it apart from other parts of the UK. More recently, this has been reinforced through the devolved powers of the Scottish parliament, for example with regard to income tax rates and bands.
What challenges does your area face?
Competition in the Scottish marketplace is strong, making it even more important for Brown Shipley to differentiate itself in terms of working collaboratively with professional partners and offering a broad range of investment, planning and lending services to our clients.
What’s the best thing about living in your area?
Scotland was recently voted the most beautiful country in the world, which says it all really.
What is a typical saying in your region?
‘Lang may yer lum reek’ meaning live long and prosper.
What is your office motto?
Our motto is ‘one team’ signifying the team spirit and sense of community across the office.
Are you bullish or bearish?
We are currently bullish with regard to global equities.
Asset allocation of a balanced portfolio:
- The Speirs & Jeffrey eight set for bumper Rathbones payday
- FCA Mifid probe should address research 'conflicts'
- The existential crisis facing wealth managers 1
- Why Speirs & Jeffrey was forced to sell to Rathbones
- Richard Colwell: fund management is a funny old game
- Wealth boom: where DFMs must improve by 2021
- Is meeting the fund manager a must? 4
Arbuthnot profits soar as it becomes bank-ier
Client assets at Arbuthnot Latham rose from £1 billion to £1.07 billion over the first half of the year with profits climbing 10% to £5.4 million,
- Neuberger Berman's Bhatia: we finally have meaningful bond opportunities
- FTSE's Brexit blues overshadow Royal Mail rally
- The UK equity funds to hold if you fear the Brexit worst
- Tuesday Papers: Deutsche Bank profits surpass market expectation
- Overnight Markets: S&P 500 inches lower as energy shares fall
BNY Mellon Investment ManagementA healthier future? How current spending patterns could point the way
- FTSE falls as oil decline offsets infrastructure rally
- WH Ireland hires from JM Finn as it grows Bristol office 1
- BlackRock earnings climb as investors pour in $20bn
- FCA platform study: seven model portfolio objections 2
- UBS Wealth appoints new Midlands boss
- Standard Life Aberdeen backs £17.5m Saranac fundraise
Wealthify's Pearce: how online DFMs can build trust
In this video Cardiff-based Wealthify founder Michelle Pearce also discusses online DFM suitability failings and not being London-centric.
Citywire Scotland: how wealth managers use new tech
We caught up with a few wealth managers at our annual event in Gleneagles to find out what technological innovations they are employing across their businesses.
CEO Tapes: Buxton to Gilbert - ‘my Glencore quandary’
Do not miss the first two minutes of this film as Richard Buxton shares how he has been challenged by a client for owning shares in a certain company.
Profile: why this Brewin manager went solo before hitting 30
More and more wealth managers are striking out alone, but few have the bottle to attempt this in their 20s
Pub Club with Andrew Davies, LGT Vestra
On The Road Diary - Postcards from Leeds....
Office Spotlight: SG Kleinwort Hambros Bank
MPS Investment Committee: Andrew Morgan, Walker Cambria
Pub Club with James Horniman, James Hambro & Partners
Investment Trust Forum 2018
Office Spotlight: Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management, Guernsey
MPS Investment Committee: Jeremy Balfour-Melville, Malloch Melville Investment Managers
Next Generation Forum 2018
Pub Club with Andrew Rees, EQ Investors
MPS Investment Committee: Jason Day & Eric Louw, Standard Life Wealth
Office Spotlight: AJ Bell, Manchester
The key sustainable takeaways from WHEB AM's annual conference
The Dee and the Dolphin: catching up with Brewin Dolphin in Aberdeen
Pub Club: With Tcam's Mark Little at De Hems (sort of)
MPS Investment Committee: Jordan Sriharan, Thomas Miller Investment
Office Spotlight: WHIreland International Wealth, Isle of Man
World Cup 2018
MPS Investment Committee: Tom Becket, Psigma Investment Management
Office Spotlight: Brown Shipley, Edinburgh
Anything but standard - island life with Standard Bank Jersey